Frequently Asked Questions

The Board's licensure law was enacted in 1990 and Licensure began in 1992 in the State of Arizona.

Applications can be done online, or a physical application can be mailed or hand delivered to the Board Office. If you would like we can mail you an application.   The requirements for licensure are available on this website under the information tab and in Board Statute/Rule.

** have you ever held a license in AZ?

If yes, then this may be a Re-Applicant or a Late Renewal.  You are a late renewal if your license has expired less than 90 days ago.  Late Renewals do not need the entire application packet; just the Biennial Renewal form and Affidavit.

*** Have you been active in the Respiratory field during the last 3 years? 

If you have not been active you will need to submit certificates showing you have completed 20 CEUs within the last year.

Fees are set by Board Rule with a fee cap set in Statute.

A total of $270.00 for your Initial License Application broken down as follows:

$50.00 fee for Fingerprint Processing - This fee must be in the form of a Money Order or Cashier's Check.

$100.00 fee for the Application - $200.00 if you are a foreign applicant

$120.00 fee for the Professional License

$150.00 fee for Renewal or Late Renewal of Licensure.

$25.00 fee for Verification of an Active License

$50.00 fee for Verification of an expired license

$25.00 fee for Duplicate License Card

$3.00 fee for convenience if application is completed online

If you have not yet passed your CRT or RRT Exam you may wait to pay the $120.00 fee for the Professional License until after you have passed the exam; however your Professional License will NOT be issued until this fee is paid

On April 1, 2015 SB 1215 was signed by Governor Douglas A. Ducey which eliminates the Arizona Board of Respiratory Care Examiners (“Board”) ability to issue or renew a temporary license effective July 2, 2015.  Therefore, commencing on July 2, 2015 the Board will no longer issue any new temporary licenses.  In addition, the Board is no longer authorized to issue a temporary license renewal after July 1, 2015.

Those current applicants that do not meet the eligibility requirements to hold a temporary license before July 2, 2015, will be prohibited from receiving a temporary license.

Those who hold a temporary license on or before July 1, 2015, will be able to continue practicing under that temporary license until such time as it expires, the Board takes action against that Temporary license or a full license is issued by this Board.

Professional Licenses are generally Active for two years and expire on your birthday.  The license then must be renewed for another cycle.  The License will expire on your second birthday after obtaining your Professional License and so on your Initial License you may not receive a full two years.

Continuing Education is REQUIRED as a condition of Licensure Renewal.

Licensees are audited for CEU compliance.  You must submit a total of twenty (20) approved CEUs for each renewal cycle. Two (2) hours of Ethics must be completed and five (5) hours must be live.   

CEU Audits occur after renewal of license. You should keep copies of CEU certificates for several years.

If you have been audited and you do not submit the required CEUs you will receive a notice informing you that your license has been Administratively Suspended and that your license may remain suspended until the conclusion of an investigation and Board Action.

Any person who attempts to renew a license by fraud shall have proceedings initiated to consider disciplinary action against his or her license.

Verifications are processed and mailed within five business days of receipt.

Verifications are sent directly to the State or Agency's office. A courtesy Copy is sent to the licensee.

A Form for requesting a License Verification can be found on our website. You may use this form or write a cover letter requesting the verification. The request must be submitted along with the applicable fee before we can begin processing the Verification.

The Board Office DOES NOT give verifications over the phone.

If you request the verification can be faxed or emailed to the applicable State Board or Agency. The fax or email address should be included with the request.

The fee is $25.00 for Active Licensee's and $50.00 for Licensees whose file has expired or has been closed.

You will need to contact the Clerk of the Court where you were charged to obtain a copy of the court documents.  If the court clerk conducts a search and there are no documetns on file or the files have been archived/destroyed. the Board requires a letter from the Court stating that a search was conducted and no documents were on file.

The processing and mailing timeframe 4-6 weeks for the Certificate.  If you have recently moved please check that the Board has your most up to date address and if not submit an address change. License Cards will now be emailed to you once your license has been approved rather than receiving the cards by mail.  If you have any questions or if you have a comment please call us, email or fill out our survey.

For a duplicate card please submit the request in writing along with the $25.00 fee for either the card or wall License. If you would like both you must request and pay the fee for each.

If your name has changed you are required by law to submit your name change in writing within 30 days of the change and request a duplicate license.  Please attach with your request a notarized or certified copy of the official document evidencing the name change.  You may find the citation in Board Rule at R4-45-104

The fee is $100.00.  The Board requires a certified check, company check, or money order and a written request with an address of where to send the disc.  The list is provided on Disc and is in Microsoft Excell Format.  The licensee name, address, license number, expiration date and status is provided.

The Board does not give any Advisory Opinions or Substantive Policy Statements.  Agency Staff are Government Employees and can not give any legal advise.  Please contact a private attorney. You may access our statutes by clicking here.

You will need to submit an Initial Application Packet as if you are applying for a license for the first time. The Revoked license is closed.  You can not apply for a new license until one year after the Revocation.  Please contact the Board Office for further information.

This is a short list of frequently asked questions. The information in this FAQ is believed to be accurate. These FAQ may be updated or revised from time to time, so please check back with this FAQ from time to time to be sure you are using the most up to date information. Board Statute/Rule trumps the information contained in this FAQ. Please do not hesitate to contact the Board Office if you have any Questions.